Before you start kayaking, you must have the right equipment with you. One of the most important pieces of equipment are good kayaking shoes.
Besides keeping your feet dry, kayak shoes offer stability, comfort, and protection from the elements. They can cushion and safeguard your feet against rocky surfaces and provide traction on wet surfaces.
Here are the best shoes for kayaking for men and women.
Best Kayaking Shoes for Men and Women
- Suitable for cooler weather conditions
- Puncture-resistant lined soles
- The zippers are liable to wear and tear
Top of our list is the NeoSport Hi-sport zipper boots. This premium boot is made from neoprene and rubber fabric, employing a water entry barrier (WEB) technology to keep your feet warm in cold water. It has a heavy-duty side zipper with sealed seams, which prevents water from trickling into the boot.
The boot comes in three soles options – 3mm, 5mm, and 7mm – for different water temperatures. The 3mm sole is ideal for 60 degrees and above, 5mm for 50 degrees and above, and 7mm for 40 degrees. The sole features a puncture-resistant lining that offers added protection and ensures balance and traction on wet surfaces. The soles and seams are glued and sewn together to improve the boot’s durability and ensure that it performs for years to come.
The various features and the anatomic and pre-bent design of the boot make it perfect for cooler conditions and ideal for cold-weather kayaking, wakeboarding, diving, and paddleboarding. The NeoSport Hi-sport zipper boots come with a 1-year warranty.
Aleader Men’s Mesh Slip-on Water Shoes Runner Up
- They have a good grip, which allows better traction on slippery surfaces
- The shoes can be worn in varying weather conditions
- They stay cool and dry most of the time
- The ComforDry sock liner features promote an improved cushioning and healthier shoe environment.
- The shoes can shrink if dried in a dryer
These slip-on water shoes are made from a hydrophobic engineered mesh fabric that allows better breathability. It employs FluidFlow technology that enables the shoes to drain water faster for a moisture-free experience.
It is lightweight and features an advanced contrast stitching type lateral support system that offers the wearer solid stability in water. The soles have sturdy rubber pods for better traction on rough terrains. The inside of the shoes has an extra lining that prevents sand and other small rock particles from entering.
While an amphibious shoe, it is too lightweight for cooler weather conditions. However, it is excellent for walking on water and sand.
Aleader Women’s Quick Drying Aqua Water Shoes
- The perforated outsole helps to dry quickly
- It is available in a variety of colors
- Non-slip bottom with an excellent traction
- ComforDry sock liner technology for comfort and excellent support
- Perforated soles allow small rocks to get trapped inside the shoe
- Not ideal for severe and dangerous activities like hiking
The Aleader Women’s Quick Drying Aqua Water Shoes are amphibious shoes designed for use on land and in the water. It is an extremely lightweight shoe that employs hydroponic engineering with a special mesh lining, allowing for air circulation and quick drying.
The soles are designed with FluidFlow technology that allows water to drain through them, thereby preventing waterlogging. Plus, it features a mesh-like rubber pod construction on the outsole that enables traction during water trips and on wet and slippery surfaces.
Also, it comes with a ComforDry sock liner, a feature that creates cushioning and an excellent bounce-back effect and allows a cool and dry environment inside the shoe.
The shoe comes in different sizes, from 6 to 11, and offers multiple color options, including blue, black, purple, green and blue, light gray, and pink.
NRS Boundary Shoe
- Durable and abrasion-resistant
- They fit perfectly inside a kayak
- Ensures your knees to feet stays warm in cooler weather conditions
- Plastic mid-sole prevents small rocks from getting inside the shoe
- Only available in men’s sizes, making sizing tough for women
The NRS Boundary Shoe is a high-top, waterproof and warm shoe, great for cold weather paddling. It has a 7mm neoprene insole and a high-traction wrap-up sole, preventing water from entering the inside and providing support on muddy surfaces.
It features a 2mm plastic mid-sole and a 5-mm neoprene upper with glued, blind-stitched, and double-taped seams, which allows for air circulation, quick-drying, and warmth throughout. There is also a ladder buckle strap at the top and the sturdy instep strap, helping to secure the shoe in place and stopping water and sand from entering the inside.
Teva Men’s Evo Outdoor Water Shoe
- Provides great protection from rough, jagged rocks
- It has good cushioning and traction on rocky and wet surfaces
- It drains water quickly and keeps the inside dry all the time.
- It gets worn out over time
- Offers little arch support
- You need to go for a pair that is half size up
The Evo Outdoor Water Shoe is a lightweight shoe with a modern, sporty appearance and design. If you like canoeing, trekking, or hiking over rocky terrain, the Evo water shoe is the best for you.
The shoe has a synthetic fiber upper that makes it lightweight and allows superior ventilation. The sole is made from durable synthetic material. It features a nylon shank with a Spider Rubber outsole, which protects your feet from rocks and other sharp objects and provides traction and stability on wet surfaces.
Northside Men’s Brille II Water Shoe
- It offers great durability and comfort
- Removable insole
- Excellent traction on a variety of surfaces
- It takes too long to dry
- No heel adjustment
- Sizes run big
Designed like a sleek sneaker, the Northside Men’s Brille II Water Shoe is a combo of neoprene and nylon mesh material.
It features a durable sticky rubber sole and a removable insole for cushioning and traction on solid surfaces and navigating slippery waterbeds.
Also, it has elastic drawstring lacing that offers a comfortable and snug fit.
Promate 3mm Beach Dog Water Sports Boots Shoes
- Built to last
- Keeps sand out
- Draining cockpit
- It can be slippery on some wet rocks
- Slow draining
The Promate Beach Dog water shoe is a highly lightweight boot designed for diving and water sports. It has a 3mm thick nylon neoprene upper with a thick rubber sole that offers excellent traction and keeps your feet warm and toasty in chilly water.
The shoe is waterproof and fits tight around the ankles to prevent sand particles from entering the inside. The insole also offers a comfortable wearing experience.
Vibram Men’s Signa Athletic Boating Shoe
- Breathable and lightweight
- Flexible toe pockets
- Not thick enough to walk on rocks comfortably
- Drainage holes allow sand particles to enter the inside of the shoe
- Not the best grip
- Poor arch support
The Vibram Men’s Signa Athletic Boating Shoe is the epitome of slip resistance with its innovative FiveFingers toe design makes it fit like foot gloves.
It comes with a polyester stretchy and abrasion-resistant mesh upper for a breathable and comfortable experience. It features a Vibram wave grip compound for slip resistance on wet, slippery surfaces, with drainage holes that allow for quick drying.
The shoe is lightweight that you can feel your toes right from the outside and even connect with the environment as you walk. However, it offers protection and cushioning effects from the ground, and the toe pockets are also flexible to prevent you from experiencing blisters.